Queen of my castle and... well everything else I suppose!


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A buoyant baby boy & bath time bliss!!

A little over a year ago I was on Facebook perusing some
photos a beautiful baby boy belonging to 
my best friend since childhood.
When I came across a photo of what appeared to be her child 
having a bath in a trash can full of water,
 I promptly commented something along the lines of:
"Why on Earth are you bathing your poor child 
in a trash can!?"
She wrote back and told me that it is, 
in fact, a bath tub and that her baby LOVES it!
Hmmm ok.....
Still skeptical, still think it's kinda weird but hey, 
I was at least now informed on the 
latest baby bathing phenomenon.
As if I have any reason to know 
anything about baby bath tubs.

Fast forward a year-
Just before Mister Baby's arrival,
A giant box appeared on my front porch 
containing none other than my very own
TRASH CAN BABY BATH TUB,
a gift from that very same dear friend 
with a note to mister baby saying that she
hopes he enjoys the "trash can tub" as much as her baby had. 
<3
When the time came for a first bath, 
out came the trash can tub.
I will admit, it was not very easy to bathe him 
in it when he had zero head/neck control 
BUT now that he's got superb head control 
& loves being up in a sitting position it's FABULOUS!! 
He loves to be in it because it allows him to be 
upright but he's also so buoyant 
which makes it easy for him to move himself around.
Most of all, he has so much fun while he's in it 
that it makes his bath time even more
fun for everyone!

See:





This contraption does have a name- it's called the Tummy Tub.
The tub part can be purchased alone 
or with the base which the tub locks into &
allows it to be up off the floor.
The base comes with a top so it 
can later be used as a step stool too! 

According to their website-
The Original TummyTub® is a unique womb-shaped and sized bath that eases baby’s transition from a familiar, safe place to an unknown world.  Enormously popular in Europe, this alternative to the standard baby bath makes bath time stress-free for babies and parents alike!
  • Baby feels warm, safe, and relaxed within soft boundaries
  • Eases indigestion, gas, and colic while calming baby
  • Stimulates cognitive and physical development
  • Ultra light weight, easy on your back
  • Meets the most stringent safety regulations worldwide
  • Phthalate, BPA, lead free
  • Uses less water, energy, and space than traditional baby tubs
  • The optional stand raises baby to a comfortable sitting position and doubles as a stool, with clever design for storage inside
The history behind the concept is very interesting. 
The Dutch have been bathing babies in buckets for decades!

Take a look at Mister Baby having some fun in his Tummy Tub last night :
(& apparently pretending to chew gum at the same time ?!)

Bee Good!
xox

5 comments:

  1. I saw that on the Today Show a year or so ago! It looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool. I saw that on the Today Show a while back too. One of the tubs had twins in it, and that was REALLY weird, but cool at the same time. :) Glad he's enjoying his trash can tub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool! Little Mister is too cute!

    I received my apron in the mail yesterday, so I'll be doing a post about it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks like he is having an absolute blast! When you first posted the pics on facebook I thought you were bathing him in a bucket, and that you'd lost your mind. :)

    Now, must make sure one of my 3 brothers has a baby in the near future so I can buy them a tummy tub!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing concept. Whoever thought of this is, I am sure, reaping beaucoup $$$ benefits. Wish I'd known about this when my granddaughter was born a year ago.

    ReplyDelete